Wednesday 25 June 2014

Ah-ma-zing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

It's hump day.  I made oatmeal cookies.


























Now don't think I plan to start posting on Wednesdays too.  But I just HAD to share this.

They are so goooooooooooood.  I don't think I will bother with another dessert after this.  Just make oatmeal cookies forever.  BCFLs. Best Cookies For Lifeeeee.

Ahem. I need a hobby.


























It was so so easy to make these.  I adapted them from the oatmeal chocolate chip recipe I usually use, which I got from my Mum, and I'm not sure where she got it from, but these recipes are all pretty much the same anyways right??

I need to put it in ink before it is lost from my mind forever.  So here it is ladies and gentlemen:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp milk

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch nutmeg
pinch salt

1 cup quick oats
1/2-3/4 cup raisins*

*I used sultana raisins, in all honesty because I bought them by accident a while back and wanted to use them up, but they taste fine.  Actually I think they might be better than regular raisins because they aren't too sweet.

Preheat the oven to 350F.  Grease two baking trays and set aside.

Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in small bowl.  Set aside.

In large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the egg, vanilla, and milk and beat until just combined.

Gradually fold in flour mixture.  Stir in oats, and then raisins.

Drop cookies onto tray in 1-1/2 inch balls approximately 2 inches apart.  (Or use your own judgment for bigger or smaller cookies).

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown.  For best texture, swap the trays half way through (ie. if one tray is on a higher rack swap it with the one beneath it and vice versa).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The nice thing about this recipe is that you can do it all by hand.  No machinery required.  Less messy that way, AND you can pretend to build arm muscle.

For some reason, this poster comes to mind.

Also, I always use slightly less sugar than it says.  That way I can feel slightly healthier.

This evening I found myself bustling about the kitchen in an apron listening to a 1930s playlist.  There is something about Big Band music that is both relaxing and motivational at the same time.  One day I am going to be one of those grannies who bakes all day and makes THE best cookies.  Is it strange this is what I dream about?






















Welllll now that I've procrastinated enough, it's back to the working world for me.  Sunday couldn't come any faster.

Bon soir, mes amis

Nicola 

No comments:

Post a Comment